Monday, March 20, 2006

A Baby's First Stagger

I have a daughter I'll refer to as "J" .

I didn't meet her until she was sixteen. She is now eighteen and attending a film school.

At present, she is on spring break--her first university spring break. Springbreak: a time of many groundbreaking experiences.


I am not part of "J" 's inner circle. I am not even Pluto. I am more like that planet we sometimes read about on a slow news day; a mysterious yet unremarkably lifeless orb and that seems to keep getting discovered every two or three years. The astronomers who keep announcing the find tell us it may be a planet or it may be comet, a stray asteroid, a cold, dark, unknowable spaced out chunk of atoms caught in the sun's gravitational field. I spin around J from a great great distance--just some guy who jammed up her Mom a long time ago.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope J doesn't read this blog entry about herself. Don't you see anything in her that gives you hope she'll make better choices than either you or her mother did? Don't we all want our children to do better than we did? (Are your expectations for her choices really this low? Or maybe you are trying to sound cool to her?)

9:37 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

My hope is that if she reads this, she'll prove me wrong on all accounts.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J's making it to film school means she's inherited your intelligence and creativity...

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home