Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Thailand Morning


Meanwhile back in the deserts, this-ism and that-ism disrupt family life and summer sit down suppers. This-ism, that-ism whip up air raid sirens as jets scream overhead. Good God y'all--war. I'm heading to Cambodia tomorrow, grateful to be out of the desert for now.

It is blissful here to wake up late and head down to the coffee shop for breakfast. There is a fragrance and ambience about this scene that I can't quite break down, but it is safe, it's home, it feels like life in full throttle.

It is was familiar to me the first time I experienced it--the sites, sounds and smells of Mumbai, Kathmandu or Delhi; it is the same mix of gas omissions from tuk-tuks,decaying rubbish and noise/ the scent of raw coconut and heavy incense. It's perfumed street life east of the Persian Gulf, west of the Sea of Japan.

I won't be white water rafting in Cambodia because there is no white water rafting excursion available. I hope to opt out for a three-day eco-hike or a raft trip in Thailand. I imagine only two or three days touring Angkor Wat. I have a driver and guide lined up for Day One.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home