Saturday, August 18, 2007

I'm Not Sure I Know What I Did Last Summer

I watched a lot of Animal Planet this summer and learned all about Meerkats. I found out that Desperate Housewives jumped the shark towards the end of its second season. I found a new bolt hole. Kathmandu is out. Siem Reap is in. Death dropped by to snag a street cat named Moskeena (Arabic for beggar) I'd had neutered and was feeding then he went to Louisiana to grab a formerly owned cat. Leela, that my sister Barb had adopted. I quickly threw up a geocities website for my bereaved nieces.

Oh, and we miscarried this weekend.

That's about it.

Ten months of work begin tomorrow morning.
Last year, I compared it to an approaching firing squad. At the time, I expected not only the usual seven hours a day, five days a week, minute-to-minute confrontations with a classroom full of inbred, ADD'ed deliquents (and I don't use that as a perjorative but a statement of fact), I also had on my plate several other challenges that were sure to rub salt into the psychic wounds that are symptomatic of my most formidable taxing handicap--laziness.

Last year, this time, Mina was in Kuwait with our six cats and one overfed Yorkshire Terrier or Porkshire Terrier if you will. By the end of October, I would have to find suitable digs for one and all, buy a couple of truck loads of furniture and major appliances, import the zoo and send for Mina--all this while tending to nearly 70 beserk primates in the Abu Dhabi Earl Comp'ny's Technical Institute or technically a (mental) institution, if you will.

Done and done.

This year approaches less like a death sentence and looms and hovers more like death itself. What lies ahead is inescapable and necessary; so it's best not to think about it. This much I know: the alarm clock will be set for six Am tonight.

"The rest", as Shakespeare says, "is silence".

Or "The rest", as Kinky Friedman says, "is a joke."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home