Thursday, January 03, 2008

Tickets, Money, Passport

There was this Absolutely Fabulous episode about mumble grumble years ago that sent the show's storyline to Morocco. From that show, these lines:

Edwina: We've got everything. [She Leaves the house. Two seconds later storms back in] Tickets, money, passports! Tickets, money, passports!

Who says the "telly" can't be educational? I've been reciting these lines for years when I leave the house, bound for the airport, and I continue to recite them obsessively/compulsively throughout my traveling--before plane disembarkation, while standing in the immigration queue fretting over the lines to the left and right which always seem to be moving faster than the one I've picked; I recite these words once settled in the hotel, while flagging down tuk- tuks, on and on, over and over because if this triumvirate of items remains undivided whilst on the road, one can lose all else (camera, toilet kit, even luggage, bottle of diazapam) and you can still have a decent enough trip. However, if one of the three goes missing, you are really fucked.


Usually this recitation is done while I discretely pat down my body to affirm that they are still in my possession. Anything else I can lose and not lose it.

I am taking a suitcase this time, not a backpack. It's a softcase trolley type with extendable handles, you know, like the kind Grandmothers and Japanese tourists use?


This I find unsettling. It's bad enough that I am going to freakin' Bangkok in order to save my aging, crumbling oral substratum so's I won't have to gum my way through meal of mushed corn and stewed prunes in a few years. But a trolley suitcase? Can an angioplasty be too far off?

4 Comments:

Blogger booda baby said...

You know that's precisely what comes next. They're paired for time eternal. Salt, pepper. Oil, vinegar. Extendable handles, angioplasty. Still, very clever of you -- very VERY clever - to feign ignorance. We like to think the innocent are spared. Innocent, ignorant. Those are not like the others.

(I'm sorry, but I'm drunk on laziness today. It's horrible and I should be ashamed of myself, but I'm not.) ANYWAY. As I was saying. Good try, but too little too late. The moment you mention Edwina - that's when you're fucked.

I loved that show.

1:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, ahhhh. I am under the weather today and so can not come up with any 'Booda level' retort. I will say that I am quite fond of AbFab and also Morocco and also chewing.

Word verify is NVYMINGA

Which, as everybody knows means "have a safe trip" in Thai.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Ebriel said...

'bout time you grew out of a backpack, you whippersnapper!

seriously, as soon as we saw the "backpack brigade" approaching in cambodia, we'd clear out of a bar. nah, backpacks are for dreadlocked budget travellers and english teachers who don't mind dirtying their shirts w/sweaty, poorly-padded straps.

is the Rose coming along to BKK as well? the Roy will be along for the ride for a few days. maybe we can have some thai-flavored gruel together - whatever work with our dental handcaps.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Booda: if angioplasty is good enough for Sir Paul, it's good enough for me, Sweety as Eddie used to say.

Hat: You're right about NVYMINGA. It also implies "You have no right to go to 'Soi Cowboy' just because your wife isn't with you and it's only three blocks from the hotel." I'll let you Google Soi Cowboy.

Elizabeth-soft case trolley luggage is it from now on. I really enjoyed the appearance of dignity.
And maybe it's time I start going to a barber more frequently than once every three months.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home