Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Think Locally / Act Locally



Last weekend the American University of Sharjah held its annual Global Day. Schools in the US usually have such a day when all of the international students converge in the quad, set up booths that serve nibbles common to their international taste buds, wear the knock-about apparel that their grandparents still dress in. Let's face it--T's and jeans have become the garment franca around the world. Don't believe me? Next time you see a gang of Palestianian kids chunking rocks at an Israeli tank, count those wearing the robes and hear gear then count those wearing Ronaldo soccer jerseys and knock-off Dockers.


So first we visited the Yemen tent where the students were wearing thobes and ghutras (the robes and head gear)while handing out free cups of Arabic coffee, bowls of Mammouniah, Creamy Almond Rice Pudding and Lubnan. All quite tasty. There were musicians strumming on Ouds, banging on the Darbukkah, a type of hand-drum and blowing plaintive melodies on a flute called a Nay. In a section of their tent, young women were having their hands decorated with elaborate henna designs.

Next we visited the Qatari tent where students dressed in thobes and ghutras passed out freebies likes Arabic coffee and yummies like Mammouniah and Lubnan while musicians played their Nays, their Ouds and hand drums. Free henna tattoos were available in the back of the tent.

At the Kuwaiti tent, the students hadn't applied for a musical permit so there were no musicians. And instead of thobes, the students wore dishdashas. That's what Kuwaitis call thobes--dishdahsas--same difference. And they passed out free coffee of the Arabic variety and Paal Payasam which is a sort of creamy rice pudding. They did have a stereo set-up though, and the music the DJ played was Kuwaiti love songs, all played on the Oud and backed by hand drums.

Tent after tent--Global Day was actually a celebration of local sameness.

The Iranian tent was somewhat different than the other Gulf country tents. Iranians, you see, are not Arabs, and if you call an Iranian an Arab, he'll cut your balls off and serve them to you with saffron rice and Black Alghazaleen tea. The Iranian students charged for their food. No surprise I suppose since the Iranian economy sucks as bad as the US economy. The kids probably needed the extra pocket money.

We also had the best time in the Iranian tent. There was some sort of Iranian Hora-like circle dance going on, Tehrani style I was told by someone close to me who is in the know. Tehrani style is sort of a dance game where all the dancers stand in a circle, shaking their hips to the devil's rhythm while clapping hands or snapping fingers. Throughout the dance, one person is thrust into the center of the circle and makes the rounds while shimmying and shaking to all those in the outer circle until that center person makes a full round, then they choose someone else to take their place. D'Rose hopped right in there like a regular homie who'd never left home.

There was a US tent. The theme was 1968. Peace symbols and half-ass sketches of Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King hung on the tent walls. I had to ask--"What's the point?" Nobody really had an answer. They did have free Kool Aid, and no, it wasn't electric.

Look folks, people, my age, my ilk--1968? Give it a rest will you?



8 Comments:

Blogger booda baby said...

Ah. This was WONDERful! Sameness is under-rated.

Oh. I guess I'm talking about rice pudding. Rice pudding. Peace. There can never be enough of either one.

There can, however, be too much 1968-revival-ing. Starting to be a little like Morris dancers.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

You'd think 1968ism would sooner or later go the way of Anne Rice, Joseph Campbell and Wiccans.

10:42 PM  
Blogger booda baby said...

I've never read Anne Rice, so am willing to sacrifice her to history. I like Joseph Campbell, and it's hardly his fault that peeps needed a legend so much, but after all, he's the one who made myth bigger than the present moment, so ... he can go, too. Wiccans. I don't know any, but I think they make excellent rice pudding and if they don't, they ought to. So they can stay put. (Also, I suspect Wiccans gotta little power up their sleeves and I'm going to be pretty damned respectful of shit I don't understand.)

I bet I had a point, but it's long forgotten. Sort of like 1968 ought to be. I don't know but I'm totally willing to guess that Dr. King might have a few choice words to anyone hanging on to his beauties. Get your ass up and speak something new. That Cory Booker, I think, would make him proud. He makes me proud.

I've strayed again, haven't I/

Good bye.

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post even without the video clips of ridiculously gorgeous people. hhhhhot!
Also, lol, "knock-off Dockers" for some reason is delightful to say.
Sorry I have nothing to add about 1968 because I was not yet born. Although I feel it should be said that I am a huge fan of Anne Rice, rice pudding, Joseph Campbell, Campbell soup, soup in cauldrons and Wiccans.

2:57 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Watch how artfully I backpedal--like a Rusian Bear in a circus.
I was mesmerized by the PBS Joseph Campbell/Bill Moyers interviews--but for me those interviews weren't the end all for my own on again/off again search for meaning. Campbell bottom lined a broad spectrum. I remain cynical of folks who begin and end with Campbell. That's a whole lotta of folks I know. I have to say that Campbell was a bit too much enthralled with Star Wars for his own good. But as I said, he had to boil it down.
In New Orleans, for some reason, there's is a cult of Anne Rice fans who somehow throw Campbell and Wicca into the mix, along with Braveheart and dragon movies. Thank God I wasn't around for the Lord of the Ring series. I don't get it.

1968--the year the White Album came out--can't knock that moment. But leave us move on.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In entirely unrelated news, I am having a heck of a time finding Cowboy Junkies videos from the 90's. But I did manage one for you, in case you need your fix-o-goodness.

heh heh, my word verify is:
ydedua
I'll tell ya why I did it - because you hinted. And that's practically a request (:

4:05 AM  
Blogger sageweb said...

That was a cool post, I would have love to go to something like that. I grew up with a different international student in our house each year. Middle eastern student seemed to be my Moms favorite so we got to learn a lot of their culture.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

If you hosted a hard working student I'm guessing the student was not from a Gulf Arab (Oil rich) country. God will get me for saying that but, if I came from a rich as all get out country with make work gubment jobs and free housing for all, I probably would have been so lazy in college that even Cliff Notes would have seemed like work.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home