Friday, June 06, 2008

Dharma King

The missus is going back to work, same job, same company, driving into the heart of the eternally under construction megapolis. I think, despite the hour-to-an-hour-and-half-each-way commute on Dubai's million cars a day and counting L.A. type freeways, she's OK with it--maybe better than OK, maybe even looking forward to it as enthusiastically as her sphinxlike Parsi-ness will allow. After two years of psyche anesthetizing housewifery, I'd bet she's even having goosepimply moments whilst I'm not around.


And so. . .hurray for D'Rose, but I might ask, how will this affect me?

I now must take over the role of primary bed maker and chief hair ball cleaner upper.

It also means that in a few weeks, I will travel unaccompanied to Cambodia. Sometimes, traveling solo can be as unsettling to me as dining alone in an uptown restaurant, sober and without a book to read. I'll pick up a companion in Cambodia but not one who will assist me in day to day decision making, both erring and unerring. And my traveling companion has already stated that he'll opt out on the white water rafting in favor of languishing in Laotian opium parlors.


My problem is this--I'm inherently an aesthete, not an ascetic, and though I long to be a "be here now" type as much as the next longing fellow, I also like stockpiling yarns and uploading hundreds of JPEGS on Photobucket, the type of activities which tend to have future results in mind--fuck the here and now. This is an attitude I hope to compromise with extreme prejudice--without spending too much time languishing, though I do intend to languish, just a little.





6 Comments:

Blogger Ebriel said...

Come on over and languish in Saigon, will ya? I'll be in Vietnam from mid-Julyish till early September.

11:29 AM  
Blogger booda baby said...

Dear Mr. Dharma King:

It's my opinion that it's the downside of creating and investing in a beautiful relationship, that some of our talents and taste for rafting solo get rusty.

Sometimes, I'm very surprised to remember what I navigated so easily and so happily without a companion.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Elizabeth--will I be introduced to the Mister? That would well be worth a skedaddle to Saigon.

Booda--Yup. And to keep those beautiful relationships sooo good lookin', one must now and then hazard a solo trip "non mens rea"

8:16 PM  
Blogger Ebriel said...

We'll be there together from the 1st-10th August in Saigon, Hoi An, and possibly Hanoi. Will keep you posted as to our itinerary.

I'm flying him out for his 40th, and we can always use some company!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Oh no--Not an "F" word" birthday!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Ebriel said...

Yep, the first of a few "F"-birthdays together I guess - I was gonna fly him to Bali as a surprise but this VN gig came up instead, so he's coming along for part of it.

We'll definitely be in Saigon for the first couple days of August.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home