Thursday, May 22, 2008

I'll rage against the dying of the light after my nap

Denial is not a lifestyle choice.

Fitness swamis tell us that if you are over 50 you should avoid exercising that builds muscles and tones and shift your focus to work-outs that improve your quality of life. Isn't that what a doctor tells a patient to do when the options have run out?--let's now focus on the quality of life.

Instead of aerobics, I know in my vintage heart that I should be taking brisk strolls through air conditioned malls while keeping an eye out for early bird dinner specials.

Our health club is an adjunct to the Emirates Airlines Aviation College. Most of the aerobics and weight training classes are made up of these 20-something, hard body flight attendants and when they jump jacks, squat, lunge, run to, fro, round and round and karate kick the air, I and my feeble knees try to keep up. Still I get this feeling that sooner or later, my decrepit joints are going to blow. How long till they shatter like crystal goblets dropped from on high is anybody's guess. But the safe money is on sooner.

Fortunately, most of the class, being flight attendants, are emergency medicine certified. It's comforting to know there will be someone around who can commence CPR when I finally do go down.

6 Comments:

Blogger booda baby said...

Ahh. I understand now. Apparently, your blogging fingers have early onset arthritis. Is there no machine for digits at that fancy schmancy health club of yours?

(No, and REALLY, this is a funny word verification, appropriate to your "I'm Pretending to Not Embrace Oldey Agey-ness" post: pjs (etc, etc. The etc. being: kpbr)

8:22 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Funny you should ask about finger work. I'm starting extreme needle point classes (Australian rules) next week.

8:04 AM  
Blogger booda baby said...

Did you? Go down?

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea! (mental note: alter morning walk course to circumnavigate hospital) Yes yes, I have no doubt that I misspelled circumnavigate. For that matter, I may have actually misspelled the word 'misspelled'.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Booda--What doesn't kill me only makes me wish someone else would finish the job.

Hat: If the hospital is near some place that serves a McBreakfast, where's the harm?

8:53 AM  
Blogger El Gringo Vasco said...

perhaps you could get some mouth-to-mouth out of it. or your choice of...

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home