Monday, May 12, 2008

Whenyaout?

"Going on hols" my British colleagues say--that is, going on holiday which is the British English word for vacation. Some of my vacations have been such unholy, depraved affairs that I find its Brit slang usage inappropriate.

The high today will be 107 F. By the first week in June, today's weather will be remembered as autumn-in-Vermont-like sweater weather. We are released from occupational obligation on June 5th. By June 6th--D-Day--a lonely silence and ghostly emptiness will fall upon faculty housing as we all stampede for the airport like herds of panicky deer fleeing a wild fire.

My decidophobia has me in its grips--again. We decidophobes, we creatures of habit and botchers of multiple choice exams aren't particularly fond of our ruts (I like to think that I'm always more in a groove than a rut).

It looks as though I and the missus will once again make a beeline for the bolt hole of two previous summers--Siem Reap--while this time avoiding too much time in Bangkok, which is getting stale.

So what's in S.R.? Well, once one has taken in Angkor Wat--not once but twice, there isn't a whole helluva lot to do except get a nightly buzz on and play alternative country music with Kevin in some Khmer biker bar. Sounds like bliss to me. Sleep late, brunch, nap to the sound of monsoon rains on our windows then plan for dinner. Sleep. Eat. Sleep. Eat. Butcher some Gram Parsons and Steve Earle tunes.


Oh, and vacation porking. Can't forget about vacation porking. Love vacation porking.

This year, I hope we can make a trip into Laos--the overlooked middle child of Southeast Asia. On this
Laotian Tourist Website a selling point is how "every village has its own special charm. You’ll get a look at genuine rural life, free from any Western influence." Between the lines that means out houses, cheap beer and no sex trade.

Wherever we don't go, however long we don't stay out, whatever we might not find out there in the verdant Asian jungles, if by August I am mysteriously, inexplicably looking foward to work, it will have been a nice break.

7 Comments:

Blogger booda baby said...

Please say you're considering submitting this to some travel pub'n. I imagine they'd blue-line the porking bit, but... maybe not. Maybe a little negotiation? They keep porking to get:
My decidophobia has me in its grips--again. We decidophobes, we creatures of habit and botchers of multiple choice exams aren't particularly fond of our ruts (I like to think that I'm always more in a groove than a rut).

7:03 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Control + Z.
Siem Reap and its laid back lifestyle will rekindle any romance--even a married one.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How luxurious that Bangkok has grown stale for you. pft
I hear Laotian country line dancing is on the up and up. That might be fun, eh?

2:01 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Luxurious? Naw. Too many cars. Too many tall buildings. Plus the DEA went in there a few years ago and taught Bangkokers how to make it not fun. Thai stick is ancient history.
Blame it on Freemasons.

6:50 AM  
Blogger booda baby said...

I am SOOOOO slow on the uptake. That's way better than porking. Haha.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could anyone be surprised of you getting tired of Bangkok? Surely the whole purpose of Bangkok is to make you enjoy every place you escape to from it all the more enjoyable

4:15 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Touche Alex.
Like bangin' your head against the wall 'cuz it feels so good when you stop.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home