Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ugly Monkeys

Not much going on during the month of Ramadan--from one new moon to next life revolves around food or, for some, the lack thereof. In a couple of days, Ramadan ends and Eid Al Fitr begins. Then nightly binge eating turns to all day binge eating. Children get new shoes. Hookers can go back to work. Liquor stores re-open. And I have next week off.

But I ain't a'goin' nowhere. Maybe I'll come back to this blog and rant between mid-morning "Jeopardy" and early afternoon reruns of "The Office". I haven't blogged lately, but then during Ramadan, days pass one after the other uninspiringly.

I have an urge to say something about this Sarah Palin person, but so far everything I've thought about saying I quickly find out is not original and can be found here and there said much more precisely or eloquently or rudely.

Then last night on our way to see "Tropic Thunder" at one of Dubai's many world's largest malls, the missus and I passed by a gaggle of local women wearing their black grim reaper-like cloaks known as "abiyas", their heads covered with Jackie O. type scarves and their faces made up like those killer clowns from slasher movies about killer clowns.


When they were well out of ear shot, the missus clued me into a Farsi saying in an aside that struck a chord; it translates into English as:

"The uglier the monkey, the better the tricks".

She was of course referring to the "Cirque-du-Soleil beauty secrets of Arabian Beauties" we'd happened upon.

Now usually Farsi insults involve one or the other or both parties locked in verbal combat being threatened with sodomy--(or their mothers, their fathers, maybe even their dead grandparents). Farsi insults are crude--I prefer the term "earthy"--and they do amuse me, but this particular blog entry is not the proper purview for randy Persian idioms.

When I heard this one about ugly monkeys, I laughed out loud and immediately thought of the Republican ticket (with the debate coming up on the heels of the almost a trillion dollar bail out and the death knell of western civilization, I suppose it has been on my mind).

Four more years of Republicans in the White House and the same old shit or even worse--retro-Reagan "Us vs Them" bullshit--will no doubt be One. Butt. Ugly. Monkey.


And now, in the center ring, an ugly monkey and its cool bitch of trick. I believe the majority of Americans just might stand in line to buy a seat to this performance.

And that's what I have to say about Sarah Palin.


4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

An ugly monkey with lipstick is still an ugly monkey.

Burns

12:14 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

A Bible thumpin' ugly monkey with lipstick who's packin' heat is one dangerous ugly monkey.

2:12 PM  
Blogger booda baby said...

But if it's an ugly monkey and we all agree this one is very VERY ugly AND it's a dumb money (dumb being worse than stupid on the basis of it ... sounding dumber. Don't you think? Am I the only one?) ... do we lose the trick?

It makes me worry about whether they've even practiced or if they just visualized the triple flip and mid-air splits and pass behind the back while flinging international soubriquets through the air to impress those of us who bought tickets. Because you KNOW we love the cozy notes of: Misha, Tibi, Gyorgy - it makes our leaders sound so in the fucking know instead of knowing fucking nothing.

I just wish they didn't go out to MAKE it look so ugly. Ugly by accident. That's forgivable. Kind of.

On the other hand, I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee.

I'm glad to hear everyone's back to eating around there.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

"they just visualized the triple flip and mid-air splits and pass behind the back while flinging international soubriquets"--Oh, you mean faith.

Iranians throw this phrase around when too many people begin asking questions about their shipwrecked economy and massive unemployment and sabre rattling--at which time their ugly monkeys resort to mini-cultural revolutions and start arresting and lashing women who wear fingernail polish or boys who sport Metalicca t-shirts smuggled in from Turkey.

Remember "Wiseblood" and how Flannery O'Connor's boy Hazel Motes tells us that "Jesus is a trick on niggers" (and by niggers O'Connor means, of course, all us fools onboard the same sinking ship). I think at one point one of Motes' apostles even puts on a monkey suit.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home