Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Oh Mama, Can This Really Be the End?

My sherpa guide is a man of some fame. His name is Dawa Sherpa. Dawa Sherpa is like John Smith among Sherpa. He's named after the day of the week he was born. I think his name means Tuesday.


I Googled him and found a little bit about him because he led Jon Krakauer on a trek to Everest Base Camp in 1997 to place a memorial for the infamous 1996 expeditions of "Into Thin Air" fame when 11 people died.

When we met in the hotel's cafe for milk tea and an equipment check, I could read from his eyes, "I hope this cracker bought enough life insurance for his wife, because if he gets hurt, I ain't carrying his ass down from no hill."

The first time I did a two-week hardcore trek President-elect Clinton had just finished announcing his cabinet appointments. I spent Christmas Eve 1992 in a Tawakhan indian village in or near Nicaragua--it was hard to tell because it was night, it was raining hard and the river had made me its bitch.

Dawa told me I won't be conquering the mountain. The mountain will conquer me. So I suppose I'm making this a tradition. Everytime a new democratic administration takes control of the White House, mother nature has my permission to turn me out.

We leave at 5:30 AM. I'm going out for some Meskin food tonight.


2 Comments:

Blogger sageweb said...

Good Luck and Happy New year!!!

10:16 AM  
Blogger booda baby said...

You know, now that you mention it, I'm not sure there's a better tradition to have. You must have done something very right if it inspires other peeps to consider adopting it, too. (Me = the other peeps.)

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home