Monday, December 07, 2009

The Way Forward


A recent confluence of holidays--Eid, UAE National Day and Thanksgiving left me with time away from work and the need to burn fat. I suppose I could have stayed home and spent a few more hours in the health club and could have gone with the missus on extended evening constitutionals, but a local no frills carrier flies twice daily to and from Nepal making cheap virtual slave labor hauls, and so once again I chose to walk up hills, above clouds and ooh and ahh at Himalayan mountain ranges. It was also time to make a bootlegged DVD run.


The few photos I took that ended up on my anti-social networking Facebook page indicate to me that next time out, the missus and I should consider a change of scenery. When sunrise views of mountains majestic are captioned "some mountain somewhere in Nepal" or "a mountain top stupa in someplace   (I forget where)" then it's time to rethink what at this point in my life defines and determines exotica.


I once had a vision--escaping to a tropical paradise, annoying local missionaries, painting nekkid women and dying a syphilitic death after slipping into an alcoholic coma. But I have now outlived Gauguin and moved beyond this without a backwards glance. I've also infused into my nearing 55 years old self a noticeable shift in politics from far left to left of center to "so whatism".


So. If I may use a Bush era slogan just this one time and I promise never to use it again--what is the way forward?


Sacramento County. Naturally.

6 Comments:

Blogger booda baby said...

This not only a great post, but fascinating, too. Don't you feel just a little bad, squeezing so much out of so few paragraphs?

Anyway, although I could (and can) fill up a comments field like nobody's business, I haven't finished turning this over. And over. Maybe it ought to be turned into lyrics. As is.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

On the whole, we'd both prefer to one day be Santa Barbarians--the missus was there last year, was wowwed by it, she has friends from the old country who skeddadled during the revoltuion with trunks full of cash, but what can a couple, three hundred large get one in your 'hood? I'm guessing a 4-person tent with a bouncy castle attached.

11:01 AM  
Blogger booda baby said...

On the whole, we'd both prefer to one day be Santa Barbarians ...

So, are you feeling like you've accumulated enough experiences that ... settling in has some 'exotic' too it?

If you're looking to BUY here ... wait, I actually have a friend (who I believe you'd like VERY much, btw. She was a screenwriter, is exquisitely articulate and well read and FUNNY and fun and smart) who is a realtor. She JUST talked to me about the market here and how - right now - she could help us find a place, even with OUR sad ass savings account. So, honestly and truly, if you're interested, Laura can help. And you'd be looking, according to her, at condos.

Santa Barbara, after all this time, is a sweeeeet place to be with all variety of interesting people to bump into. (And WE'RE here. Jeeeezus, what else do you need?)

6:34 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

We're passing through in July. Can you put us in touch with the realtor?
Do you have me Email address?

8:32 PM  
Blogger booda baby said...

Mais ouis. Would you like to correspond with her before July?

And no, no email address, but that twitter thingie works pretty well.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

OK--nearer July I'll tweetcha

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home