Saturday, September 18, 2010

They Have Names, Y'Know

I first heard the term when older brothers of my friends returned from 13 months in Vietnam. This would have been my early teens to mid-teens. Mostly, the older brothers weren't much interested in talking about the war. They were mostly interested in getting on with their youths. They would rather not talk about it unless they wanted to shock us with stories about the sex and the drugs, you know, remembering the best of times.

They returned with stories exotica, stories of government issue vials of amyl nitrate and the ease of buying China white heroin, or what a hoot it was to zone out on Thai stick while under attack at night, mesmerized by the tracer rounds zapping back and forth which lit up the night sky like a shower of shooting stars. They told us about furloughs in Bangkok where these good  American boys paid for sex tricks like "the swinging chandelier" which required at least three prostitutes to make it happen. These prostitutes were referred to with a military-like acronym--L.B.F.M.s.(Be careful how you use it and who you use it around; it is the South East Asian "N" word". A very, very bad word).

We. the younger brothers thought that if the war ended before we turned 18, we'd be lucky--we were not impatiently waiting our turn to join the fight--this was 1968, 1969, 1970, not 1917 or 1941. But. If still being drafted in 1973, '74, '75 and the U.S. was still calling on us to stop the Southeast Asian red dominoes from tumbling, the odds, we thought, were on our side for coming home in one piece and there was a place called Bangkok and there were these L.B.F.M.s we'd heard so much about waiting for us. 

Acronym speak is military speak. For example, a sergeant barks, "Before you climb into your A.P.C. remember to collect your TA-50, a three day issue of C-Rats, and you F.N.G.s don't forget to keep your M-16s on safe. We will be encountering V.C. and N.V.A. and I do not want one swinging dick coming back K.I.A. or even W.I.A. so for tonight and the next four weeks, Jody, not you, will be hugging and kissing your L.B.F.M."

L.B.F.M.--Little Brown Fucking Machines. On the one hand, yes, of course, a truly offensive term, no argument there. As I've said,  a Southeast Asian "N" word. On the other hand, in many villages throughout North Eastern Thailand, Isaan in particular, many, if not all families have at least one daughter who is destined to become one day an L.B.F.M. The family depends on it. They should expect to work as prostitutes the way other family members are expected to grow and harvest the rice or the better yet, work even more thoughtlessly, on auto-pilot, more mechanically, like a machine, like a tractor or a rice thrasher, a not-quite-human mechanical object that works for the family in an occupation that did not, as I was taught in college, come about as a result of the days when L.B.J. sent in the U.S.M.C to fight the N.V.A. 

Thailand is a country never colonized by white guys. It is one area where white guys were not expected to carry a burden.

Thailand is a country with a history of concubinage, not so unique in Asia. And places like Isaan, not too far from Chiang Mai, are areas in Northeast Thailand where those who had it all used to shop around for their concubines because Isaan produces not only a lot of rice and some finger licking good rat meat, but Isaan has always yielded a bumper crop of extra daughters whose destiny was (and still is) upon reaching puberty to leave the family and go hang out somewhere, day-after-day, night-after-night, waiting to be fucked in order to support her family. It was and still is the duty of at least one daughter. And it is not anything new.

Families whose daughters left home were and still are thought of by kinfolk as not much more than farm machinery and like all farm machines, they help to ease the workload of toil, sweat and the real possibility of famine. The day these chosen daughters leave home is a day that gives their families a promising future of the La Dolce Vita.


Today, concubinage is officially prohibited but there's a work-around. Prostitution is unofficially a socially accepted (or socially resigned to) occupation. It is seen by these farming families as not so different than helping out, milking cows, gathering eggs, swinging a scythe in the rice paddies. They send their earnings home to the family who these days are not just content with golden rings and an iron rice bowl; the brothers need electric guitars and motorcycles, the sisters need an education and Hello Kitty sneakers, the parents need satellite dishes and H.D. TVs.  The liquor cabinet must have a well-stocked supply of Johnny Walker Red. 

I think more accurately they might be referred to as L.B.F.C.s--the "C" standing for cog, because in a society that has functioned for a thousand years like the same machine it is today, where Maslow's hierarchy of needs peak at "saving face" (gaining the admiration of respect of your neighbors). The household needs stuff, and the family must be the talk of the town, renowned for being a family who can afford to do a lot of hanging out, sleep late, wake up late, gamble often and one capable of throwing parties legendary in the retelling.

Self actualization (a western conceit) is realized by having more neat stuff than the folks next door; I see much of Thailand thinking of itself as a society which runs like a well maintained, highly profitable farm, and a well maintained, highly profitable farm is one which usually profits best buy skillfully implementing the use of all family members in its well-oiled machinery, including in some rural areas at least one daughter whose chores do not include getting up before dawn, but getting home just before sunrise.

5 Comments:

Blogger booda baby said...

How is it possible that 'brilliant' became a word over-used? I don't know, but there it is.

Point is, I think this is brilliant and really ought to be something I read in a great journal. Failing that, the Rolling Stone.

In fact, I wish you'd submit this.

I've now deleted - easily - four or five paragraphs about the fine lines between philosophy and action - but it's a discussion that can't be had. I think a lightly painted essay or a story achieves what a whole lot of talk can't.

Anyway, I really appreciate this. Thank you.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Booda--blessings. I had an interested editor steered my way by the Liz whose blog is linked from mine. Liz is a brilliant travel writer and artist and has she's published twice with ThingsAsian press. What she’s doing now inspired me.

The working title is Mekong Delta Blues and the quest (every travel writer needs a quest, realized or not, it's what moves the story from anecdote to anecdote) was to meet SE Asian blues players and eventually hook up with Kong Nay.
This fellow:
http://www.amazon.com/Mekong-Delta-Blues/dp/B0013SGYDU

You can sample some of his stuff.

I played in about different clubs in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh asking around if anybody knew how to get in touch with Kong Nay. Nobody did.

This editor person decided she couldn’t work with me because she was appalled about the short piece in which I out hustled a tuk-tuk driving pimp. Some people cannot accept that there is a difference between legit sexual tourists who provide a significant amount of money to the areas GDP and sexual tourist who are pedophiles and child fuckers who should be shot at dawn.

I have since researched the publisher she works for, something I should have done first and not as an after thought. Oops They publish gift books, kid's books, photo journals. PC stuff. Travel Channel niceness. Not only could ThingsAsian Press not publish my stuff, but they probably would turn down potty mouthed and grumpy old Paul Theroux.

So I'm continuing to pencil sketch anecdotes and travel info like this. But I depend upon Facebook friends and Ms. Booda (and anyone else) to comment--"be brutal" if necessary--a line borrowed from a movie.

This piece in particular I've also inserted into the anecdote about out hustling a tuk tuk driver, which needs more contextual meat on its bones.

I'm aiming for 2,000 -3,000 words a week, so when you're not too busy, drop by, please. I figure if in a year or so I think I have a book length thing of any value, I can find my own two-bit publisher that pays in copies and a few pennies on books sold.

Thanks for the encouragement. I may take your advice and submit a proposal to R.S. I can Google this, but you probably already know the answer--when submitting a proposal and a sample, how many sample pages? And should there be a finished product on my end in the event they want to see more?

Kong Nay is on FB. If need be, I’ll continue trying to hunt him down and make the time to see him and tack that on as an epilogue.

Cheers Mate

11:23 AM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

btw, if you find the time, I'd like yours thoughts on this piece:
http://thepastimperfect.blogspot.com/2010/09/polar-exploration.html
thanks

11:27 AM  
Blogger booda baby said...

A complete pleasure, will it be. Your quest is a good one (I've sometimes objected to the kind of ... procrustean push to work the quest. Balkan Ghosts did NOT work for me & although he was a great writer, I think he ended up with entirely made up conclusions so who cares if it was lyrical?)

Anyway, I'll make a point to make time.

And re: making pitches: I'm guessing things have changed a bit, but the pitch/query is - WAS - where all the power was. I wouldn't submit ANY of the written piece, but it seems to me that there's wisdom in having something near completion in the even they want to see it NOW.

On the other hand, while the submission process goes on, there's no point in NOT finishing the writing & if someone wants a slightly different angle - well, go in and adjust.

That's just what I'd do.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Mimi's Pa said...

Thanks Mizzy Boody M'am. Yes, I did my time hanging in MFA programs and remember how to query. Probably with the smaller publishing houses like ThingsAsian which seems to not be too interested in writing that suddenly lights up a stanky kitchen to see a hundred cockroaches making a dash forcover.

I read in one sit on an overnight train, a book called Tricksters and Punks in Asia, bought at a book shop in Chiang Mai, and it seemed to be a self-published book because of the quality of paper and funky type set, sometimes not perfectly aligned type as well, and here and there a typo.

Turns out is was self published, bu by a fellow who has started his own publishing company called Fast Track
I've checked out the website
http://www.fasttrackpublishing.com/
and from the blurb at the bottom of the home page which says they're about "real communication, inspirational (and sometimes rough) writing, and militant humanism. . ." I had an OIC. I remember now.

Don't approach Simon and Shuster, Haprer Collins or even Graywolf until you can write add a passive sentence in the query "I have been published by. . ."


I'm sure there are other places like Fasttrack which fancy gonzo stuff.

Years ago, I had been diverted from writing "gonzo" because of writing programs--"gratuitous vulgarity" Donald Barthelme once wrote on a short story--a cermaic Jesus that when turned around revealed a hard penis I believe was the image he objected to, but Houston had and has a large gay community and I did see this piece of kitsch in a window.

Philip Lopate suggested I get into a rehab center after critiquing a short story and saw my stuff as a cry for help.

Well fuck Donald Bathelme, he's dead. Good writer but personally, he had very few teeth and the few he had were blackened by the cigarettes that killed him.

And as for Philip Lopate, well,I just did a search on him and he's get cred, lots of cred, and in the end he was right. I needed rehab (did my 28 days in 1988) and it although that piece he commented on won a hundred dollars and twenny fi' dollars in a contest, the writer at the time thought scotch was a good breakfast drink, not because he thought it was a writerly breakfast drink (as suggest by Lopate), but because he needed help.

Thanks for the encouragement, tea and sympathy.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home